Walking The Walk. October 2016

2015 was my Lairig Ghru year, over the 12 months of a rather strange and disrupted year I managed to stick with my resolution to walk up from Aviemore into the Lairig Ghru every month of the year.  Some months the weather intervened and I was only able to get part way before being blown or blizzarded off my feet.  In other months I was able to have a picnic at the Pools of Dee looking over into Deeside.

Then at the end of the December I stopped doing the walk - project done, just needed to sort out the photographs and write about the whole endeavour.  

The real problem has been that I’m missing the regular walks. I stopped off briefly in June en route to Inverness for a quick fix, but until today (October 2016) I hadn’t had, or at least hadn’t conjured up, the chance to redo the walk.

Today I got reminded of how lovely the walk up from Loch an Eilein is.  

I started by watching the mists rolling across the Loch, before climbing up through the autumn colours past Lochan Deo, over the Cairngorm Club Footbridge, turning right at Piccadilly before climbing up through the tree-line and to the Rothiemurchus Lodge turn.  

People talk about knowing a path like the back of their hand, and there are times when I think I could walk the walk blindfold, or at least in the dark.  (I have walked bits of it in the dark, when I’ve dawdled too much).


But truth be told, it’s not a walk I’d ever want to do blindfold, the views are just too good to miss.

Loch an Eilein
Rothiemurchus Autumn
Above Allt Druidh
Near the Rothiemurchus Tree Line
Looking into the Lairig Ghru
Every Autumn Colour 

No comments: